My modified version of the 5600 module

Lately I've been racking my brain to determine what G-Shock would offer me the optimal functionality in order to be satisfied with just one watch, I know you're already thinking this guy is nuts but hear me out. My collection is very focused, mostly 5600s and a few Mudman models. The Mudmans were purchased on a whim mostly because of the great deal on Amazon and while I like them a lot and wear them extensively while outside, they are not my watch of choice - that lofty distinction is held by the 5600 range.

I've been wearing my GW-5600BCJ and my G-5600RB-1JF almost exclusively for weeks now and find myself swapping between the two depending on how I feel about having the day of the week and date displayed. There are other obvious differences (atomic sync) between them, but for the most part these two watches are close to perfect for me anyway. I'm excited about getting one of the new GWM-5600BC models in order to have all of the functions of my GW-5600BCJ plus the day displayed, it was about time Casio caught up with that oversight. But I still have this nagging feeling that despite the updates to the new GWM-5600 models there is just something not quite right or complete - be it the combination of functions offered or the way the information is displayed.

So, I've spent a couple of hours with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to put together my thoughts on what I would like to have in the ultimate 5600 module and tried to show that visually using the mock-ups below. The key changes for me were: 1) Having the current time displayed in the upper section whenever possible, 2) Showing the full date with year in the main time mode as well as the day of the week, 3) Having a dual time function instead of the World Time one - I personally prefer to have a fully functioning dual time zone rather than the World Time function - YMMV.

In order to achieve the changes I wanted, I had to make some modifications to the screen layout/real estate to accommodate the additional information. So take a look at what I've come up with and let me know what you think and what you would change if you could. I'd like to gather your feedback and use it to update the mock ups at some point in the future. So be constructive (and gentle) and let me know what you think of it (love it, hate it, offended by it - what ever). Remember this is MY take on what I would like to have in the ultimate 5600 module, it may not be everyone's cup of tea!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brief G-Shock bezel stealthing guide

Completed watch design drawings

Ocean Diver prototype pictures